Tuesday 17 September 2013

Get Back to Netball in Bristol

After several years of running and going to the gym I've been looking for something that takes the pain out of keeping fit and is a bit more sociable than miserably pounding the streets on my tod. So I was excited to hear about an initiative that has been set up to get more women back into netball. I wasn't a natural sportsperson during my formative years but netball was one of the few sports I was quite good at while at school. So, armed with a hazy recollection of the rules and a vague idea of positions, I decided to put my name down when a notice went up at my sons' school about a new women's netball group, aimed at people like myself who hadn't played the sport since their teens.



My particular group is part of wider scheme set up by England Netball, running right across the UK and open to all female players over the age of 16. My group is made up mainly of mums looking for a convenient and fun way to enjoy a bit of exercise, some great coaching and a few laughs along the way. It's run by a lovely lady called Sue Anderson who is the Netball Development Community Coach for Bristol, and it takes place at Redland Green School each Tuesday from 9-10 am during term time. 


Since joining the group I've rediscovered the fun of taking part in a team sport - so much more enjoyable than running, a pursuit I doggedly keep up but can't honestly say I gain much personal satisfaction from. The netball sessions, on the other hand, barely feel like exercising, but with a 20-minute exercise warm-up, followed by a non-stop game it certainly works all the main muscle groups. And guess what - I don't pay a penny! Thanks to the generosity of the school who don't charge for using their facilities, my group is currently able to enjoy this weekly session completely gratis.  

The scheme operates across Bristol with sessions taking place at venues including UWE, schools and sports centres. All sessions are 'pay and play' so you don't have to pay up front for a term, and with many sessions costing just £1 (£3 being the maximum cost for a session) this is a truly budget-friendly way to discover a new hobby and keep active. 


If you'd like to find out more, take a look at the Back To Netball section of the England Netball website here. 
Use the Session Finder on the left-hand side to see what's available where you live.


Back to Netball logo copyright England Netball.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Bristol Bargainista. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig